The Window at the Tail

We ended up making a good chunk of progress this week on the Craft Cruiser! I'm so excited with how it's coming along! 

On Friday, I ended up going to the local estate sale warehouse and got a couple pieces of furniture to put inside the cruiser as workspace and display! They will get full head to toe makeovers, but check them out!

This is from the warehouse where it's still covered with lots of other goodies for sale!

This is from the warehouse where it's still covered with lots of other goodies for sale!

I'm dreaming of what this is going to look like in chalk paint!

I'm dreaming of what this is going to look like in chalk paint!

We got the back window taken out, which really needed to be done since it was leaking! Once the window was out, we could replace all the rotten framing that had gone bad from the leak. To replace all the rotten boards, we got a KREG Pocket Jig that has allowed us to tie new pieces into old pieces without having screws or nails sticking out. If you are redoing a trailer, I highly recommend it! (We just got the mini version and it's been great.)

This shows you some of the rot in the wood around the window that had to be replaced.

This shows you some of the rot in the wood around the window that had to be replaced.

Yay! New framing!

Yay! New framing!

At some point in Vera's life, this back window started leaking and whoever had it at the time did the best they could to fix it. That being said, please, please, please, NEVER EVER EVER use spray foam insulation, roofing nails, and silicone caulking to fix it. It doesn't fix it.

Just to show you what I was dealing with...

You can see some of the silicone caulking hanging around the edges.

You can see some of the silicone caulking hanging around the edges.

Here's where they used roofing nails. (WHYYYY???)

Here's where they used roofing nails. (WHYYYY???)

Look at all that spray foam and silicone caulk!

Look at all that spray foam and silicone caulk!

Once I had the window out, I realized that the gasket holding the glass into the frame was decaying, so I went ahead and took it out before realizing that no one but the vintage trailer supply carries this type of gasket (at least not in my area). I went ahead and polished the frame anyway so that it would be ready when the gasket comes in. For this project I used Mothers Aluminum polish. Look at the difference a little elbow grease can make! 

That's about as far as we've gotten this week. I was hoping to have the rear window back in, but that will have to wait until the new gasket comes in. For now, we've patched up the window with some leftover lauan wood. 

I did start playing around with the color scheme though. Here's what I'm thinking so far, but let me know what you think in the comments!